To modify the Lumix GH1 firmware, I've downloaded the Ptool utility.
It's a Windows exe, so I've had to run it in a Parallels session on the iMac (I'd forgotten just how quickly Windows 8 Parallels boots as a session on my iMac).
The basic approach is to take the standard firmware image for the camera and the use Ptool to edit appropriate settings. There's a wide variety available (with handy hints) as well as some pre-defined sets contributed by other people.
I've defined my own set, which at this stage are fairly conservative. The (at your own risk) process steps are:
- Download Ptool to a PC.
- Download a copy of the latest Panasonic Firmware to the same PC.
- Use Ptool to modify the firmware image on the PC.
- Create a new firmware image, which must then be copied to an SDHC card in the root directory.
- Put the SDHC card into the Lumix GH1.
- Start the camera and then press the play button.
- Follow the prompts to update the firmware.
My next step is to try the change with some video recording...