Thursday, 4 July 2013

oops something went wrong

netflix screenshot
I suppose it was inevitable that after Windows 8 said it needed to perform an urgent update, that something would stop working.

I ran the update and aside from the speedy rush to 91% complete, followed by a five minute pause, everything seemed to be fine.

Reboot and back to normal.

Until I used the usually immensely reliable Netflix in that machine. "Ooops," it said,"something went wrong." Or words to that effect.

Groan.

It gave some kind of lengthy error code and said the computer wasn't connected to the internet, implying it was my fault and that I'd unplugged something.

I checked. Yes, it was connected to the internet. I rebooted the router to be sure. No change. Then I switched off all the Norton stuff and tried again. Nope. Reboot. Nope.

By now I've spent 45 minutes on systems administration instead of entertainment. This is all wrong.

And it worked yesterday, before the important system update for Windows 8.

In desperation, I decided to try the clutching at straws approach of re-installing Silverlight, which is a piece of Microsoft extra-ware used in some video setups. None of the instructions or diagnostics suggested this.

It worked.

I don't know what I'd do if I was a regular consumer level user.

2 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

My very thoughts as I read this! I would be EFFFF-ED! OY VEY!

Nikki-ann said...

A friend was having trouble with Windows 8 (I've steered clear of it!) and was getting more and more frustrated. After a coupe of weeks, I took a look at the laptop, did a quick search on Google and came up with a quick fix. It was somethig really simple, but not obvious at all!