rashbre central: the temporary white car arrives

Saturday 9 March 2013

the temporary white car arrives

white seat leon
My temporary white replacement car has now arrived.

It's Spanish and the delivery person was very helpful. I don't think I've seen this type of car before but I'm sure I will see them everywhere now I'm in one, even if their advertising appears to be from another part of Europe and possibly a different decade.

It's already over two weeks since the stone pinged the windscreen of my own car and I think I've done well to use foot, bike and public transport in the intervening period.

The glass repair company did say they could provide a car sooner, but I thought I'd hold out in case my own vehicle could be fixed.

The latest head shaking indicates at least another week of substitute transport which is why I finally agreed to take a loaner until my own is ready. It's reached the stage where it is better to have the paperwork done and possession rather than need wheels suddenly and then have to wait.

Each stage of this process is getting more complicated. From the stone ping 1 cm dink, to the 15 cm crack, to the replacement glass fitting that cut some wires. Then most of the error diagnostics on my car coming on when I started it - Why the windscreen affects the Electronic Stability system is a kind of mystery? Then to the dealer who has had to order the parts from Germany. And now I have a substitute vehicle from a hire company.

In the back of my mind I'm wondering about all the money being spent on this. I'm covered, but as more cars get clever glass, this is going to get expensive for lots of people.

But then, I suppose even my bicycle has sat-nav.

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

i was just thinking as I saw the title of your post--'all this from a ping on the windshield'...This is a horror story! And why a Spanish car????

Ellie said...

Indeed a small ping is demonstrating the interconnectedness of all the ripples.

rashbre said...

Naomi I was also thinking of all the phone calls, special journeys, paperwork and so on. It's a mini industry. The car was probably made in Spain but it does have regular GB plates on it.

Ellie Very Zen.

And hoping the new glass doesn't have any visible ripples.