rashbre central: plugged in, not charging

Tuesday 29 January 2013

plugged in, not charging

Jump LeadsThe latest quirk of my brand new 2013 Windows 8 laptop is that the battery is reporting as 'plugged in, not charging'. It has been stuck on a capacity of 17% for the last week.

I don't believe the readout and think is some kind of driver conflict.

The system seems to come with both a Microsoft Windows 8 battery driver and also something that has been added by HP. I think they are conflicting with one another. A small but rather tedious problem.

I've been too lazy to fix it until now. This is what I just did to make it work again:

1) Use Control Panel / Device Drivers / Battery to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI Control Method Battery Driver.
2) With the computer plugged into the mains, remove the battery.
3) Use Control Panel/ Device Drivers /Battery/ Scan for new hardware/ to rescan for the ACPI driver, which it will re-install.
4) Plug in the battery again and 'Ta-Da' the battery is charging again.

I ran a google search about this. It seems to be a common and irritating problem.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Common and irritating - not a good combo for MS!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

OY! I'm having some problems with my new set-up and have to have the Computer Wizard come here every time...an expensive proposition, but I wouldn't know what to do or how to do it...it's great great GREAT that you know how to tackle all these problems! BRAVO, My Dear!!!