rashbre central: so tired, tired of waiting

Thursday 8 November 2012

so tired, tired of waiting

Florida voting?
I'm just a little intrigued by the delays affecting the Florida voting from the US election.

My original reason was somewhat trivially because I'd put together my own quick home made prediction of the final vote and wanted to see how it finally played out.

I'd guessed that Florida would go Republican, but maybe hadn't predicted the 'Miami factor' which could skew the result to the Democrats based upon the Latino vote. Look at how red/Republican Florida looks, although quite a few of the red squares are quite low populations compared with the few big blue/Democrat ones like Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

My quick look at the projections showed the gap between Obama and Romney in Florida was around 45,000, which is why, I assume, things are taking so long to stabilise.

I notice also that Florida has a particularly large number of voter exclusions, such that almost a quarter of African Americans in Florida are not allowed to vote.

So I'm wondering if, among the virtual hanging chads, there is now an examination of 45,001 votes for their authenticity? It would make quite a difference to the final Electroral College positioning.

2 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

But it won't change the outcome. 303 is MORE than enough for this Obama win. The 29 Electrol votes IF they go to the Republicans will NOT change the outcome of the election.
Florida is a mess, where Voting is concerned and ALL of the Voting problems need to be looked into and addressed....! So many African-Americans NOT being allowed to Vote---Give Me A Break!!!!

rashbre said...

Naomi I agree - the 303 is easily enough - its not like the last time Florida had big problems and delayed the result.

It does seem odd, though, that they should take so much longer than everywhere else.