rashbre central: printing a first #nanowrimo text

Wednesday 14 November 2012

printing a first #nanowrimo text

First print of the 321 pages/69000 words
Tomorrow I'm out at meetings all day and Friday I'm on a course, so last night and this afternoon were my chances to crash out the last few sections of the NaNoWriMo.

I know I'm ahead of the word target, but that was partly a self preservation thing because I have some complicated weeks in late November which could interfere with progress.

I've therefore tried to blast through the writing part at an unhealthy and often late night rate to get the main wordage completed. I'm at around 69,000 words at present, against the NaNoTarget of 50,000.

I can honestly say I didn't really have an idea about this story until I started typing the first paragraph on the first of November, so it's quite fascinating once again as a process.

I've also just printed a first copy - I won't refer to it a first draft - there are way too many errors, typos and the like, including some large sections where I decided to skip fiddly speech punctuation in the interests of speed.

So the first printed copy will be the one where I realise just how many obvious bloopers there are, as well as needing to patch up a couple of significant plot points which have gone awry. I also had a good idea part way through which I haven't managed to incorporate. It will have to wait for the first revision.

Not forgetting a few notes to myself of the type that say "Describe the ..." where I was too dazed to attempt the relevant prose.

It's also strangely different from my normal blogging, where I'll usually try to keep the text fairly short. I've noticed the blogging word count creeping up on a few recent posts.

Something about "I didn't have time to send you a short report, so I sent you a long one instead?"

No comments: