rashbre central: trouble in't village

Tuesday 2 October 2012

trouble in't village

Votes for Women
They said there'd be trouble today. First news was of 'railway trouble' but later the tram conductor said I should watch out for protests in the village.

Sure enough, the railway station was all but deserted, although the buses were still running. Then I heard the sound of raised voices.

It sounded like a rally and I could see placards being waved at the band-stand.

I crossed the cobbled street just as the leading protestors from the NUWSS turned the corner.

Yes, I'd travelled a mere eight miles distance but back in time just over a hundred years, to the small village of Beamish. It still runs on pounds, shillings and pence and proudly portrays the turn from the nineteenth and into the very early twentieth century.
United Suffragists at Beamish

2 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Have you been to the Black Country Museum or Blists Hill Victorian Town?

rashbre said...

Nikki-ann Blists Hill should be on my list when I'm back working in that area. I've spotted it on the signs. I'll need a half day meeting to make it work

;-)