rashbre central: all watched over by machines of loving grace

Sunday 22 May 2011

all watched over by machines of loving grace

all watched over b y machines of loving grace
There's a show on during the week about the rise of the machines. Adam Curtis splices together footage and commentary to build a picture of global cybernetics.

I've only seen the trailer, but I know the pre-internet 60's Brautigan poem.

I've always liked the idea of quiet technology - "It just works" - rather than "edit the Registry, touch your nose and re-boot three times/anyone know how to get a picture?" type technology.

But there's a downside to the stillness too. More integration means the machines start to put things together. Miles and miles of files, Links, Connections, Co-incidences. This could be good, but the machine isn't judgemental.

That's where the power and the money switch in.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Whoa! What's this new place where I've found myself? I like it!

rashbre said...

Ellie : Just messin' around with the format.