rashbre central: all about the bike

Friday 30 July 2010

all about the bike

all about the bikeBack to the seaside today, across to the Island ahead of tomorrow's appointment at Queen Victoria's old house. Yesterday saw a late finish in order to get everything done and despite the holiday season there seems to be plenty happening at work, which is keeping me busy.

On the ferry I started reading the bicycle book by Rob Penn, about his construction of a purpose built machine woven with the history of the bicycle. It's way more fanciful than any of my construction projects, but I can identify with the ingenuity.

Coincidentally, and to the amusement of others, a few weeks ago I ordered some 'bike parts' which arrived in an oversized un-smuggle-able box and have since been quietly assembling another machine in the garage. By comparison with the book's £3,500 budget, my paltry expenditure pales into insignificance, but I have a sneaking suspicion its almost as much fun (alright, without the travel to exotic locations to acquire headsets and sprockets).

But my cycle construction project must wait as I am away again for the next couple of weekends, although I have already finished reading the book, which I think only re-inforces the need to ride around on two wheels.

No comments: