rashbre central: in which I discover the roof garden

Thursday 13 August 2009

in which I discover the roof garden

P1010847w
I found the apartment's balcony yesterday and even briefly sat on it whilst drinking coffee, but somehow missed the extra stairs going upwards.

This morning I realized they lead to the roof garden, which was the optimum spot for breakfast whilst also viewing across the rooftops of Newport.

I wasn't sure what I'd make of Newport, which I'd half expected to be modern and a little utilitarian. In practice, its packed with relatively old and well preserved buildings; even the apartment has a historical preservation order and the town had a plenty of shops, restaurants as well as the attractive harbor area.
DSC_7578
We decided to take to the water later and enjoyed the views across to Goat Island, the way out to the Atlantic and as well as to the huge estates along the coastline.

Jacqueline Bovier (later Kennedy Onassis) grew up in one of the big houses we could see from along the coast line and which also hosted her marriage to John Kennedy. For us, though, overall today was a day to just absorb the bustle of Newport. Tomorrow we'll head for a resort for a couple of beach and pool style chill-out days, before returning to the UK.
DSC_7608

No comments: