rashbre central: field report

Monday 30 June 2008

field report

DSC_1760
Surreal moments on Monday morning as I sat in traffic on my way to a business meeting, looking at sleepy heads in cars in my rearview with Glastonbury stickers. I guess I'd headed back a few hours earlier than fellow road-users and reverted from field life to business mode. We'd left before the final acts, and spent around an hour hiking from the Tipi field back to the car parked in the far eastern fields.

There's plenty written about Glastonbury and the music, but I think the main experience for me transcends the physical into the happy emotional state from an enjoyable weekend.
P1000263
I draw a mental line across the middle of Glastonbury, around where the old railway embankment runs. To the north are the big rock venues of the Pyramid and Other stage where stadium bands play and the BBC sets up most of its cameras.
DSC_1856
South of the line are the gentler areas with different music and varied and alternative lifestyles. Its much easier to see the stages and musicians in this area and the feeling is far more relaxed than the areas where 70,000 people gather to watch a single band.

Glastonbury is large. A 160,000 person village that assembles and disappears within a week. There's an almost immediate logic to the roads, the zones, the areas of different music and the cultures which all build to a great experience. Of course, good weather helps and I'm more concerned that I might have caught too much sun rather than mud or rain from this years generally pleasant outlook.
firestarter
And even now, some two days on, I still have a slightly smug and happy feeling from the experience.

No comments: