rashbre central: more tiping

Saturday 1 March 2008

more tiping

DSC_1006.jpg
I use computers a fair bit and am conversant with desktop operating systems like Windows, OS/X and Linux. The last two or three days I've been writing something for work and I've been using a very common word processor that most people use on a very common operating system that probably most people still use.

What has been annoying is the number of little buglets in the course of some fairly rudimentary word processing. Some examples include:

- Copying tables from a spreadsheet into the document and getting different formatting results from the same copy and paste operation.
- Having the document suddenly flip into the Greek character set for part of the text
- Having pieces of the text 'lock' so that they cannot be edited
- Deleting a character and watching a whole preceding section reformat itself into a different style
- Adding a line between two existing lines and seeing the text style change in the new insertion

I could go on, but I suppose that is enough. I use these products all the time and pity the more casual user who may not know how to reformat and remove problems.

I'm guessing that the products concerned are deemed 'good enough'. It still seems wrong though, that a fairly basic requirement like formatted typing would have these difficulties. Or am I alone with these problems?

No comments: