rashbre central: don't mess

Sunday 14 October 2007

don't mess

austin3.jpg
I was reading maximum bob's tune complilation for the shuffleathon, which is an organized way to swap music (aka mixtapes - but nowadays on CD). Bob described the various tracks he'd selected and sent, which largely had a US-style country feel to them.

I'll admit, I found the descriptions interesting although other than the Julie Roberts track about Whiskey and (worryingly) another track about tequila I don't know any of them. I did spot the holyhose compilation on iTunes though, so it would be easy enough to revise.
austin1.jpg
The descriptions of the tunes remind me of a place I've visited several times which is like a wild epicenter for country type music. That's Austin, Texas and especially the area around 6th Street. Its full of bars and clubs and the general idea is to wander from one lively place to another listening to the bands, enjoying some comedy and just chillin' in the bars.
austin2.jpg
Austin is also one of those places where what happens in Austin stays in Austin, so whether its the aromatic reggae club at the end of the street, the multi storied bands by the Driskill or the shop window performances of the Comedy Club, lets just say it's all great fun, especially when wearing a stetson from Sheplers.
austin5.jpgUsually I've visited Austin with enough of us to be able to create a few interesting moments and there's a tradition to take a photo outside a certain place although we never show it to anyone who wasn't part of the trip.

So I'll throw a country style tune into the ring now, but as those that know me might expect instead of a song about girls with apartments in Nashville ;-) its Michelle Shocked performing live in a small club and singing about the piney green rolling hills and the red clay backroads of East Texas.
memories of east texas + the VW story

No comments: