rashbre central: eg vil pakka fjölskyl dunni minni

Saturday 9 June 2007

eg vil pakka fjölskyl dunni minni

bjork - brigitte la combe
Not for everyone, but I found myself applauding the television late last night. I was watching Björk Gudmundsdottir on Jules Holland’s “Later” show as she performed some tracks from her recent album “Volta”, which I have been playing in the car over the last couple of weeks. So engrossing that I felt I was in the concert.

The staging included her Icelandic all-female brass section, dressed in colourful clothing evocative of a major celebration. The tracks played were “Earth Intruders” and “Declare Independence” from the album as well as “The Anchor Song”, which she sang in Icelandic.

Björk inhabited the stage with a pixie like presence along with tracks fusing techno rave rhythm, world music beat and her own distinctive singing style. The album has more treats; some links with older work such as the sounds of the sea in a foghorn inspired interlude on one of the tracks.

Sublime eccentricity.

No comments: