rashbre central: black car

Monday 9 October 2006

black car

blackmerc2
One advantage of my time in Milan is that I'm getting driven around in a big black Mercedes. The driver is in a dark suit and wears shades during the day. The car is allowed to go in the special lanes normally reserved for buses and trams and the driver seems to want to drive everywhere at maximum speed. I notice he selects 4 instead of Drive and is always in Sports mode.

I worked in Milan for a while and I used to always think that the cars were never parked, just momentarily stationary and that it was something like a giant arcade game to be a driver. Now I can see the other part, where this professional driver never really stops at lights and coasts slowly so that he can edge forward before the lights change. I also notice that just about all of the other drivers seem to do the same, so theres an extra edginess to the motoring experience. Now I remember the feeling of calm that used to wash over me as I sat on the plane seat on the way back when I was over here a lot.

Tag: , , ,

No comments: