rashbre central: american agenda

Sunday 1 October 2006

american agenda

pyro-popup-72.jpg
Nowadays the paper delivery person doesn't make any attempt to push the Sunday paper through the letterbox. Instead, it comes neatly wrapped in a plastic bag and is dropped on the step outside. I only noticed it today when a neighbour knocked to enquire whether I'd seen her missing Persian cat which is blind in one eye.

We walked around for a little while shaking a tin bowl filled with cat nibbles and calling out, but to no avail - I suspect the cat has gone into hiding somewhere probably frightened of the big outdoors.

Then to the paper. It stresses me with a Sunday paper having so much to read and I always feel better when I have removed the redundant sections and the added in mailshots in which I have low interest. Today, however, in amongst the leaflets was a nice little catalogue for the forthcoming show at the Royal Academy of Art.

Its a show about the USA and features some well known pieces which discuss themes including war, peace, consumerism, diversity, poverty the USA's place in the world. I was smitten as soon as I saw the catalogue and will drop in to the exhibition as soon as practical to have a look around.

A couple of years ago I was in New York and visited one of my regular spots, the Whitney, whilst it was running a couple of interesting US art exhibitions, one on Pop art and another on War art, particularly related to the Vietnam era. Both were very thoughtful and the Royal Academy show has some similar promise. A while ago (in blogging memory!) I visited the Saatchi Gallery in London and I notice that quite a few of the exhibits are from the Saatchi - presumably because Saatchi are about to 'up sticks' and move to Kings Road, Chelsea.

The exhibition advertising seems to be using a picture from Josephine Meckseper which, in her normal work contrasts the seductiveness of consumerism with the realities of a war-torn world. The one above is called Pyromaniac 2.
shell.jpg
I also noticed some Dash Snow, who makes paintings but is also famous for some polaroids, including the one here, which takes a gas station, notices a missing light, and creates a statement at the same time.

Its good to find art about ideas.

No comments: