rashbre central: parallel universe

Saturday 29 April 2006

parallel universe

desktop2.jpg
I've been using my iMac with the Intel inside for a few weeks and have not re-booted it since it came out of the box. Until today when I installed the clever software called parallels workstation, which allows me to run the iMac with slave environment(s) of any version of Windows underneath Mac OS X.

Now don't get me wrong, I use Mac OS X for just about everything in my non work world, and with the Apple software that comes with the iMac it does most of the useful things straight out of the packet.

desktop1.jpg
But having a Windows environment which can be simply booted like another browser session is quite useful for the times I need access to a piece of Windows world. And this brilliant utility lets me do it. Its far better than Apple's 'Boot Camp' because it works without rebooting, and lets the Windows session run 'inside' the Mac OS X environment. Its also fast because the Windows is running natively on the intel chippery.

I emphasise that I use Apple's standard Safari as my browser and iLife for lots of things like photography and making DVDs and iWork for word processing and similar.

And for the record I've rebooted Windows twice whilst I was writing this (installing updates etc), but of course MAC OS X didn't even blink.

If you are keen on Bootcamp itself, there's a handy little article about it here

Tag: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: